- Knowledge Management
- Records Management
- Cyber Operations
- Planning; Science and Technology/Research and Development
- Cyber Focused Training
- Cyber Exercise
- Integrated Technology Support
- Project Analysis
- Program Management
- All-source Intelligence
- Business Process Reengineering
- Strategy and Policy and Doctrine Development
- Administrative Support
Similarly, the NSA has been under significant pressure to sustain its workforce despite Congressional exemptions in hiring authority regulations combined with comparatively high wages relative to other federal agencies. NSA human resources director John Yelnosky noted:
“We’re throwing the kitchen sink at them from our standpoint…And they’re writing in to us, as they leave NSA, in their exit interviews, ‘I’m leaving to double my salary…The competition out there is really fierce and particularly for these folks that we make a big investment in, and we feel those losses very keenly”
As the economy continues to improve, competition between the private sector and federal agencies is likely to both accelerate and favor the private sector; the private sector’s greater degree of flexibility in managing its workforce in terms of wages, perks, providing greater opportunity for career advancement, etc. in conjunction with its ability to more quickly assimilate of new technologies grants it a decisive advantage over the public sector. Substantial cybersecurity contracts similar to the USCYCBERCOM omnibus will continue as federal agencies will be unable to meet demand for cybersecurity capabilities. For example, $100 million cyber expertise contract designed to attract subject matter experts in intelligence, national security, counterterrorism, and technology (Konkel, 2015).
*CYBERCOM recently cancelled this contract, and is expected to relaunch the opportunity by October 1st. Competition for cyber security personnel will most likely continue, regardless of when the opportunity is released.
FY 2016 Budget Request Part II – Cyber Security Developments and Budget
- CYBERCOM To Outsource $475 Million of Work To Stand Up Command, Aliya Sternstein, 2015.
- DOD’s new Internet strategy boosts role in defending “US interests”, 2015.
- United States Cyber Command (USCYBERCOM) Omnibus Contract, FBO, 2015.
- The Department of Defense Cyber Strategy, DoD, 2015.
- The NSA’s Fight To Keep Its Best Hackers, Jack Moore, 2015.
- US Cyber Command Has Just Half the Staff It Needs, Aliya Sternstein, 2015.